Distillation is one of the widely used and efficient methods to purify water and make it useable in many ways.
It is an undeniable fact that distilled water offers a lot of extraordinary benefits to a human body. In fact, the quantity and the quality of water intake are also linked with the function of several organs, quality of tissues, body resistance to certain diseases and much more.
Here we are going to discuss the topic in detail and reveal some less-known benefits of distilled water. Keep reading.
What is Water Distiller?
Wondering how to purify water during emergencies? An efficient water distiller can help!
Distillation is a process of filter water, and the machine used to make the whole procedure smooth and effortless is known as water distiller. It has the ability to eliminate over 99.9% of impurities, like heavy metals, chemicals, sediment and microorganisms.
Luckily, a wide variety of water purifiers are present in the marketplace, varying in design and size. However, regardless of the brand or volume, all machine models consist of a boiling compartment, a cooling system and storage tank.
How Does It Work?
Distillation is quite a simple process. You just need to add in the untreated water and connect it to a power source; the appliance will do the rest!
The water goes through a few necessary steps to complete the procedure:
- Water is added in the boiling chamber, where it is heated.
- As soon as the water starts boiling, vapors or steam is produced.
- Steam rises up and gases are discharged via a built-in vent.
- Hard deposits or scales are left behind in the boiling chamber.
- The steam makes its way to the condenser where it is cooled down either by cold water or the fan (the condenser resembles a coiled tube).
- Water drops are formed as soon as the vapors are condensed.
- Some distillers are also equipped with carbon filter that helps in removing any gases from the water droplets.
- Lastly, the purified and ready-to-use water is collected in a separate tank or container.
Most of the impurities have different boiling points than water which is why they don’t leave the heating chamber along H2O particles. Once the distillation process is completed, you can wash or remove the leftover contaminants from the apparatus.
Natural Water Distiller
It is believed that the process of water purification is as old as the earth. In the natural distillation method, named Hydrologic Cycle, water present on the Earth’s surface is heated by sun rays to the point of evaporation. The steam goes up in the sky and form clouds, and when it vaporizes; the water is sent back to the earth through rain. Then the cycle repeats again!
When Did Humans Start Using Distillation?
In the Ancient Greece, sailors used to hang sponges on the top of boiling seawater (salty) pots. Once the process was completed, they used to squeeze out the sponges to obtain drinkable water. Today, the process is same, but the water distillers have made the procedure easier and hassle-free.
What Type of Impurities Are Removed By a Water Distiller?
A good quality water distiller has the ability to remove several types of contaminants, including:
- Organic compounds
- Chemicals like chlorine
- Heavy metals like lead
- Hardness minerals
- Microorganisms like bacteria
- Dissolved salts, and other common impurities present in water
The best part is, a water distiller can remove any type and size of contaminants, from large crystals to tiny viruses. However, there are a few particles that can convert to gas and combine with water, like VOCs and benzene. In this case, a distiller with carbon filter can be a savior because it prevents the impurities from dropping into the storage container.
Uses of Distilled Water
The earth is almost 70% covered with water, but most of it can’t be used for everyday life. To make a good use of it; the water needs to be purified from any sort of harmful substances, debris and bacteria. This processed water can be used in many ways:
1. In Industries and Laboratories
Distilled water is utilized in various industries and Laboratories (biological and chemical) where it is a necessity. In fact, some cases demand highly purified water and for that, double distilled water comes to the rescue!
2. In Ships
Ships, especially nuclear-powered ships, require distilled water as a coolant. Mostly, they purify seawater through distillation and then use it either for ships, drinking or cooking.
3. In Surgical Procedures
Clean water is utilized during surgical procedures to prevent the risk of infections. Moreover, it is also a must for cleaning and washing wounds.
4. In Car Batteries
Lead-acid batteries are installed in vehicles like trucks and cars, and they are required to fill up with water from time to time. However, if you use plain tap water, then the battery can get damaged because of the presence of several ions in the water. Moreover, it can also lead to the reduction of battery’s lifespan. Therefore, it is suggested to only use distilled water for the purpose.
5. In Drinks
When it comes to drinks and edibles, sterilized water usage is a prerequisite for great health. Various manufacturers make drinks and beverages using distilled water to ensure quality and taste.
6. In Cooling Systems
It is suggested and preferred to use purified water in cooling systems like radiators. Ions and minerals present in contaminated water can build up in the system and cause several issues, including excessive energy consumption and premature failure.
7. In Aquarium
Just like us, humans, all living beings need natural resources in the purest form. When it comes to fishes, their survival depends on the quality of water and that needs to be clean from all the impurities. Therefore, in Aquariums distilled water is used to ensure a healthy environment for the sea animals.
8. For Ironing Clothes
You must be wondering why it is important to use purified water to press cloths? It’s because of two reasons. Firstly, the mineral substances from contaminated water can decrease the lifespan of a steam iron because of the deposits. Secondly, the ions in water can leave a white/water strain on dark-colored clothes.
9. For Skin
Distilled water is beneficial for all types of skin because no harmful substances are present in it that can block your pores or cause breakouts.
Pros and Cons of Having Water Distillers
If you are still confused about purchasing a water distiller, then here is a brief summary of the pros and cons that come along with the machine. Take a look below:
- No installation is needed at all. You Just have to plug it in, and it is good to go.
- Pure water sharpens mental performance
- Promote weight loss
- Improve skin appearance
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Lessen Allergy and asthma symptoms
- Help in proper digestion
- Remove toxins from the body
- Normalize body temperature
- Protect joints
- Enhance immune system
- Produce cellular energy
- Water distiller will cost same as a Reverse Osmosis system, which is more efficient comparatively.
- Charcoal filters need replacement every two months.
- It takes too long to get the purified water. After switching on the device, you will be able to get only a small amount of water after 10 minutes.
- The bigger the machine, the more its price.
- Water distillers consume a lot of energy that can result in insanely high electricity bills.
You can also check out the water filter guide for best options.
Water Distiller Maintenance
Although water distillers don’t ask for a high maintenance, but you need to clean the system on a regular basis. It is important to replace the carbon filter whenever needed to make sure that the whole system is working perfectly.
Don’t forget to check the boiling chamber from time to time as the leftover impurities and minerals can build up and eventually affect distiller’s performance. The area can also be prone to algae and bacteria growth due of ignorance. It is suggested to clean the boiling compartment after every use, and it’s not a difficult thing to do. Follow these simple steps:
- Switch off the device and take off the lid of the boiling chamber.
- Make a solution of quarter cup of vinegar and warm water in your sink and let the lid soak in for a few hours.
- Meanwhile, make a mixture of equal parts of white vinegar plus water and add it to the boiling chamber. It’s ideal to leave it overnight or a few hours at least for best results.
- Pour out the mixture after a reasonable time and rinse the machine properly with warm water.
- Wash the lid likewise and let them both air-dry.
- Once dried, your water distiller is good to go for another cycle.
Purified water can do so much good to you, your body, your brain and your skin. Hence, distillers are one of the essentials needed in any home. Fortunately, a wide variety of purifiers are present in the market to make it easier for you to enjoy clean water and all its benefits.
Before purchasing, it is wise to go through the reviews of your desired product to ensure if it matches your needs. Drink clean, stay healthy!