If there is any type of economic collapse like the Great Depression history, one of the first few places that will be wiped clean might be the pharmacies all across the United States. People can be desperate to get their drugs because to some, their medications mean life or death. This includes heart or high blood pressure medications, asthma medicine, or even cancer drugs. It’s all at risk of being gone within days of any real SHTF situation.
Also, did you know that most people who take prescribed medications do not have more than 30 to 60 days’ supply at any given time? This would seem to reinforce the ideas to start seeking other possible medicine alternatives to some of your, or your family’s, health issues if ever you will not find your medications or the pharmacies would all be wiped out.
In this post, I will provide some of the most useful and beneficial antibiotics and essential oils that will provide everything from calming effects to antiseptics or ointments that can be used to treat wounds or other certain conditions. It’s all about being as prepared as possible. And, having as much of the stuff in supply could give you huge potential for bartering or for your own family members’ health issues.
Powerful Essential Oils when SHTF
Let’s start first with the most powerful essential oils that will be really useful when SHTF. It’s amazing to think that nature is equipped with a lot of alternatives that can help us deal with symptoms of diseases rather than resorting to drugs. With this being said, here are the must-have essential oils when SHTF.
- Eucalyptus: This is known to heal wounds faster. Aside from that, it also protects the wounds from air exposure and offers antimicrobial activity. It also has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that can provide soothing pain relief for joint pain and arthritis. If you suffer from respiratory problems, you can also use eucalyptus essential oil on your diffuser or humidifier because it has the power to clean the air while killing mold.
- Oregano: This is a known protector against different bacterial strains like salmonella, E. coli, and Staphylococcus.
- Peppermint: This essential oil is useful for relieving headaches and it can also soothe digestive ills. It also has the power to improve the circulation of the body. You can also use peppermint essential oil if you are suffering from mental fatigue.
- Tea Tree: This essential oil is popular for wound care and oral health. It can also relieve yeast infections and is known to be an excellent multi-purpose essential oil.
- Lavender: Lavender is known to be a relaxing essential oil and it can help soothe colicky babies and can enhance sleep for adults. Aside from that, you can also use it on burns to relieve pain and fight infections.
- Geranium: This is an all-purpose essential oil that is usually used for skin care. It has astringent qualities that can help improve the appearance of the skin. It can also get rid of excess oil on the skin without getting the skin to be too dry.
- Thyme: This essential oil is effective against myriad bacteria such as MRSA and Staph infections.
- Bergamot: This essential oil can be used to kill parasites. It can also help heal mouth ulcers, cold sores, and herpes faster. And it can fight shingles as well as chicken pox.
- Lemon Grass: This has antimicrobial properties that inhibit bacterial growth both internal and external. It can help in treating urinary tract infections, typhoid, malaria, food poisoning, and even body odor.
- Cinnamon: This can be one of the strongest antibacterial essential oils. It can work against strains such as E. coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Bacillus subtilis, and Staphylococcus aureus.
- Clary Sage: The clary sage essential oil is known to be an excellent hormone balancer for women.
- Myrrh: This essential oil can be used to treat serious infections. It is also great for skin care because it has anti-aging qualities.
- Sweet Orange: This essential oil is an anti-depressant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial disinfectant, antiseptic, and antispasmodic. It is something that might help you in dealing with cancer and heart problems.
- Frankincense: This essential oil is known to be an excellent insect repellent but aside from that, it is also an antiseptic, tonic, and expectorant. It is usually used to help rejuvenate aging skin and can do well about bacterial and fungal infections as well.
- Clove Oil: This essential oil is an antimicrobial and an analgesic as well. It can be used for digestive, dental, and skin health. You can also apply it topically because it helps in numbing to ease dental pain.
Powerful Natural Antibiotics when SHTF
After knowing the powerful essential oils, let us now know the powerful natural antibiotics we can use when SHTF. When the day comes that antibiotics are no longer available, here are the natural antibiotics you can consider.
- Garlic: A bulb of garlic is usually seen in the kitchen as a part of a dish ingredient. But did you know that it also has medicinal value? It’s because garlic has antibacterial components which are activated when exposed to air. They are found to be effective against bacteria and as well as in treating fungal infections.
- Ginger: Ginger has been proven to treat coughs and asthma. It can also be used to treat fungal, bacterial, and viral infections effectively. Also, based on research, it has the potential to be used against “superbugs” as well. To treat coughs, colds, asthma, and other respiratory infections, using boiled ginger is effective.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon bark is known to be effective in treating mouth and gum conditions. Cinnamon extract, on the other hand, can be used in toothpaste and mouthwashes to treat oral ulcers, gingivitis, and tongue inflammation.
- Honey: This is a versatile remedy for skin wounds because raw honey can prevent infection and promote healing. It is very useful on any type of burn and can speed up recovery. But make sure that it is raw honey because most store-bought honeys are pasteurized and their antibacterial properties might already be destroyed.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is known to heal persistent wounds such as diabetic wounds and pressure ulcers which are difficult to treat. It is known to be an anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial with chemical constituents which promote healing and reduce scarring. It can be used as an ointment to treat wounds.
- Cranberry: This fruit is known to prevent urinary tract infections because of its anti-inflammatory properties. It can prevent the bacteria from sticking to the wall of the bladder, making it was out in urine instead of staying in the bladder. It grows in many parts of the world that’s why it’s very easy to obtain.
- Cumin: This spice is commonly used in the Middle East and Indian cuisines. But aside from using it as an ingredient for certain dishes, it can also be used medically in treating tooth decay. It’s because it exhibits antimicrobial activity against the bacteria in the mouth.
- Limes and Lemons: Both lemon and lime contain flavonoids that have antibiotic effects. Aside from that, lime juice is also known to be effective against cholera.
- Echinacea: This is a stem leaf flower that is clinically known to support the immune system. It is very effective in treating a cold or flu. It can also increase the white blood cell count.
- Coconut Oil: This is a multi-functional natural antibiotic. It is a heat stable food that can provide fast energy among many useful properties, including as a cosmetic. You can directly apply its oil to the skin. The lauric acid from the oil is what turns into an antibiotic.
- Elderberry: This can help in stabilizing overall health and in strengthening the immune system. It can prevent respiratory infections and can reduce cold duration by two days.
- Indigo: Indigo root extract has been proven to treat typhoid fever, meaning, it can potentially prevent food poisoning from salmonella as well because the bacteria that causes salmonella is similar to that of typhoid fever. We can use it as part of our cleaning solutions in our kitchens.
- Licorice: The root of licorice has been found to have anti-inflammatory effects. It is helpful in treating allergic and asthmatic conditions. It can be used in combination with antibiotic remedies to ease symptoms, however, it is dangerous for pregnant women because it can raise blood pressure and consuming a lot of it can drop the body’s levels of potassium.
These are nature’s most powerful antibiotics and essential oils you can turn to when SHTF. We may not be paying attention that much about these things now but it’s amazing to know that these simple essential oils, ingredients, fruits, and herbs can certainly help us when disasters and calamities strike. We hope the information we shared in this post will help you become more prepared.